Sunday, October 10, 2010

I can make you thin!

We flew to Wellington for the weekend a few weeks ago. In the bookshop at the airport I bought Paul Mckenna's I can make you thin. Paul McKenna being the famous Hypnotist from the UK who has done a few TV shows. He does all sorts of books like "I can make you sleep", "Quit Smoking today", "Change your life in 7 days" etc etc. Anyway for some reason I bought the book and CD that went along with it. Noel and I jumped in the hire car and I put the CD on as a joke. Of course the volume was down and we missed the first few minutes saying do not listen to this cd in the car or while driving. ooops. Anyway we pissed ourselves laughing at the attempt at hypnotising us and the way his voice came out of one speaker then the next. Anyway then we started realising that his method could actually work. Its basically eat what you want when you want it. But listen to your body. Listen to when you are full and stop eating. So if you have a huge plate of food in front of you just leave the rest. You don't have to finish eating whats there if your full. We have been slowly reading his book and doing alot of thinking about his method. Noel of course has lost 3kgs from this method. I none yet. But I really haven't got my head around only eating till I'm full. I think I need to get back in touch with my stomach or myself. It turns out a Dr friend of ours here had actually recommended this book to us weeks ago and I'd forgotten. I met up with her and another friend who is a Physico on Friday night and they were saying its the only approach that they recommend. The physio was saying maybe I need to get back in touch with my breathing first to become more aware of my body as a whole. Then the eating till I'm full will just slip into place. This conversation has awoken a old memories of when I was an Actor and the breathing exercises we used to do every day to release our voices for projection reasons. Feldenkrais and Alexander Technique. I remembered at the time I was practicing this every day I was so in touch with my body and breathing. Over the years I've let this slip alot. Maybe I should restart this. My personal trainer says I should do some yoga to stretch. I guess this is kind of a similar thing without the breathing but the concept of getting relaxed and in touch with my body seems to be being thrown at me the last few weeks. So I must listen I guess.

Sooo.... here goes. I plan to do some breathing exercises every day for 20-30 minutes and see if I can stop breathing so shallow. I plan to try this listen to what my stomach is telling me thing and only eat till i'm full. Lets see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment