Tuesday, May 18, 2010

To weigh or not to weigh rant

After the first day going so easily I couldn't help weigh myself this morning. I've lost about 900 grams. That is really great and it made me feel motivated. I know it won't be like that every day but I'm not surprised it was so high today as I ate so little yesterday. I'd also pigged out on Sunday night in anticiaption of the diet starting so it could have been much less.

However ringing in my mind is the voices of so many diet coaches I've had in the past. They are all saying ONLY WEIGH YOURSELF ONCE A WEEK!!! Why I wonder? I guess their reasons are that if you weight yourself daily or more regularly then you will see your weight fluxuate and it could put you off. Or your scales will show different result than theirs do and that will put you off. It seems the only reason being it will put us off the diet. Hmmm come on... in my case I'm more likely to be put off the diet because I cheated. I cheated because I was not focused or committed enough to the diet and during the week. Because I wasn't focused enough I stuffed my face with crap that wasn't on the diet. Then weigh in becomes a problem because I'm going there feeling guilty and miserable as you know the scales won't lie that you cheated. Isn't it much better to keep weight loss in your mind at all times. Isn't weighing yourself every day or every time few days a better option as your remind yourself why your doing this. Its just occured to me that I might catch myself from failing if I try to be constantly committed to this diet. Or is that day 2 of diet talking. I might change my mind in a few weeks if I've failed a few times.

Is it just me that jumps on the scales more regularly? I know Noel does it. But then he hasn't done as many diets as me where the scale mantra has been beaten into him. Its pretty clear that with a diet business they get you to come in and weigh in with them once a week as their fancy lure. If they can get you to come to them once a week your a captivated audience and you spend loads of money. Its like when you go to the hairdresser and they have you as a captive audience and then they hard sell you hair products you don't need. I think diet companies are a little like that. They have you over a barrel as you feel you need their help, support and motivation to succeed. I am totally convinced and I've thought this for ages that they make the diet so close to your maintance calorie intake for the day that you can only lose a little weight if you 100% stick to the diet. I know thats meant to be the healthy way to lose weight but... seriously I've tried every diet there is and I never lost much every week even when I was sticking to their diets. Then if you break once during the week you have stuffed your weight loss and of course that means you are with them buying their food for more time to actually lose weight. I'm sorry if that shocks you but as an accountant thats what I would have advised them to do. Slow the weight loss down so they continue as clients for longer and you will make more money. Don't forget they are not in business as a non profit organisation and are indeed making money from you. Its in their interest that you lose weight slowly.

Its also never really sat well with me the whole weigh in thing. It made me incredibly uncomfortable having some woman I don't know well seeing my weight. Then worse commenting on it. Or trying to make the best of it when I invariably hadn't lost much weight or put it on. I guess you could argue that this blog is me showing the world my weight. Very true point... I'm glad you made it Vanessa. Oh well. It just gets on my wick the whole weigh in thing.

Anyway just thinking that my idea of losing weight as quickly without the big diet firms involved was a good one. At least I can control how quickly I lose the weight. The food I'm eating is fresh not packaged. And best I don't have to weigh in with someone I don't know commenting on how I've done. Oh and I'm learning to become accountable to myself for what I eat. And I think I will be so proud of myself for my level of committment if I succeed.

I hereby promise to weigh in when I feel like it. Diet companies can go "insert sound of me blowing a rasberry".

1 comment: